On Fri, 2007-06-22 at 03:47 +0000, Graham Dumpleton wrote:
> On Jun 22, 11:57 am, Malcolm Tredinnick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > This problem is my high-priority item at the moment. When I've done my
> > necessary work today, I'm going to hook up a couple of different wsgi
> > servers (along with mod_python) and make sure we fix it or back it out
> > for a bit. Will keep you in the loop either way.
>
> Ah, just found this thread after making comments on that proposed
> patch over on the database thread over on the user list.
>

> http://groups.google.com/group/django-users/browse_frm/thread/588718d711a5a0f0
>
> If you are going to do testing, I hope you will consider also testing
> mod_wsgi.

Yep.. it's on the list.

> One thing I would like to point out is that although you perceive the
> goal as being reducing overall memory use, do keep in mind that,
> especially perhaps with deployment solutions which run under Apache,
> that you may loose out more than you gain by forcing lots of small
> writes of data as the overhead of all those small (flushed) writes can
> actually affect throughput.

[... good stuff snipped ...]

Graham, you've accurately put into words most of the things I've had
running around in my brain with respect to performance on the network
and server writing level, mostly from having traced through individual
request/response cases a lot yesterday. How to do buffering sensibly in
the default case and allow for control in the extreme cases is something
I don't think we've got right yet. Any solution should ideally work for
any WSGI server, so working out how to take advantage of Apache-specific
(or any other server-specific) issues without adding three dozen config
params and calling options is one part of the puzzle.

It isn't the forgotten ugly duckling. Work in progress.

Regards,
Malcolm