On Jun 27, 8:07 pm, Robert Coup <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Marty Alchin wrote:
> > Regardless though, I think Jacob makes the best point so far: Django's
> > cache system is robust enough to handle it if you pick a decent
> > backend. And if there's a need to make the built-in options more
> > robust, we can deal with that when the need arises.
>
> What about registering to watch for a signal given to the web server
> process and invalidate the cache when that is received ? That way
> someone who really wants to clear the dbsettings across multiple
> processes can force it via a "kill -s" system script.

This wouldn't be a good idea if using Apache to host the application
as Apache uses a lot of the signals for its own purposes and you would
most likely interfere with its operation if you were to register a
signal handler for a signal it uses. Because of the problems caused by
applications registering signal handlers under Apache, mod_wsgi
actually substitutes signal.signal() with a dummy function which logs
a warning that signal registration is disabled for Python applications
and otherwise ignores the request. See "Registration Of Signal
Handlers" in:

  http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/wiki/ApplicationIssues

There has been some discussion in respect of WSGI applications
registering signal handlers on the Python WEB-SIG of late and general
consensus seems to be that no WSGI application should be relying on
UNIX signals directly, only the underlying web server should be
allowed to. This discussion was part of another discussion on somehow
providing a form of event notification bus for applications. Feasibly,
if a way was found of injecting an event into the process from
outside, the bus being described could be a way of triggering the sort
of action you are talking about in an application.

Graham