I definitely agree that some additional documentation is in order.
Over the past few months, I've released a couple apps that used to be
tied specifically to a project, and I had quite a bit of
back-and-forth on this list trying to figure out the best practices
for releasing them.

I think the single biggest improvement that could be made in any of
this documentation is that we could express very clearly that it's in
everbody's best interests to make an app reusable. Even if a developer
doesn't plan on distributing an app, making it reusable will make it
more useful even internally.

I don't know if this is what Adrian was referring to, but I would
think an ideal "project" would be nothing more than settings.py,
urls.py (which might be split into multiple files), a set of templates
and static media content. Essentially, in addition to models, every
app would be written to have generic views, which can be dropped into
any environment, provided the proper dependencies are provided.

Of course, not everything fits into the ideal project, so most people
are still going to have a few things that are specific to a project,
but if apps are written well, this would be minimal. I expect it would
mostly just be special views for site-specific custom form handling.

That said, I had been considering doing a nice, long writeup on
advanced Django development, picking up where Pro Django leaves off,
with part of it being dedicated to planning for a distributed app.
>From the sounds of this conversation though, planning for a reusable
app shouldn't be considered advanced, but rather standard.

-Gul