As described here[1], I finally got around to working on improving
django support for the Atom Publishing Format. There's been a ticket
[2] for this since PyCon but yesterday I started a Google Code
project and now I'm mostly done.

Equivalents to django.contrib.syndication.feeds.Feed,
django.utils.feedgenerator.SyndicationFeed and
django.utils.feedgenerator.Atom1Feed can be found in atompub/atom.py
[3] along with some user documentation[4].

The atom.py file is all a user needs to add full Atom support. The
rest of the files in SVN are for testing.

I followed the spirit of the existing implementation but had to break
away from subclassing SyndicationFeed to truly support the full Atom
data model.

Once I've implemented the remaining parts of the data model, I'll
release it as 0.1.

Note that even once the data model is fully implemented, there's
still work that can be done in providing useful fallback for things
like IDs and link rel="alternate" which the existing feedgenerator
does and my implementation does not. I can also begin to add
constraint checking to reduce the chance of producing an invalid Atom
feed through bad programming of the model-feed bridge.

One that's done, I can start thinking about the next step which is
ticket #3570[5] -- support for the Atom Publishing *Protocol*.

Let me know what you think of it so far.

James

[1] http://jtauber.com/blog/2007/07/29/finally_working_on_django-atompub
[2] http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/3569
[3] http://django-atompub.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/atompub/atom.py