As of r20, django-atompub now includes a `LegacySyndicationFeed`
class (in atom.py) which implements the same signature for `__init__`
and `add_item` as django's existing `SyndicationFeed` does but under
the covers is a new `AtomFeed`.

I haven't fully tested it but I'm hoping this addresses some of
Jacob's concerns.

The idea is you don't need to rewrite your `Feed` subclass, you can
just change your `feed_type` to `LegacySyndicationFeed` and the new
Atom code will kick in.

In other words, `LegacySyndicationFeed` is a drop-in replacement for
`Atom1Feed`.

This means it will also work for people (like Rob Hudson) who are
using a `SyndicationFeed` like `Atom1Feed` directly, without using a
`Feed` subclass to provide content.

If people find the name pejorative, I'm happy to change it if they
have another suggestion.

James