I would guess one of the reasons is http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/4491

> Also - how does this affet the proposal to merge the 'inlines' clause
> into the 'fields' clause (and following your other proposal - the
> 'fieldsets' clause)? Again, I can't see any reason why it shouldn't be
> possible, but I wanted to make sure we weren't making a rod for our
> own backs.

I would like for the inlines to be separate, the reason is that in our
system, we have quite a few generic stuff that can bind to any model
and I would like to be able to register these generic models to any
model's admin without the model's knowledge. Like this I could keep
the basic model options simple and uphold the DRY principle.

For example (I know it can be confusing, like my explanations ;) ):
class Article( models.Model ):
  some_fields_go_here
class ArticleOptions( admin.ModelAdmin ):
  some_basic_options

----
class CommentOptions( models.Model ):
  enabled = models.Fireld()
  moderators = models.Field()

for model, model_options in admin.site._registry.items():
  if i_like_model( model ):
    model_options.inlines.append( CommentOptionsInline )

this would probably still be possible using the fields/fieldsets
property, but this seems cleaner...

--
Honza Kr�l
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]