On 9/20/07, Deryck Hodge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[...]
> But what about the case of multiple trusted proxies (not the case of
> the client acting as a proxy)?  Or what about if the proxy sends the
> XFF header as [CLIENTIP, PROXYIP] which is what I believe the major
> ones do and what cause the patch to break existing setups?

Exactly. We have to fix this cases, without breaking security. On the
other hand, maybe a reliable remote IP address is not that important.
Then, the doc should be fixed, because currently it somehow implies
that you can trust HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR in some cases. You can't.

Now, if having a reliable remote IP address is important, then a
setting  (NUMBER_OF_TRUSTED_PROXY_SERVERS?) specifying how many values
you can trust is the only thing that occurs to me. (I'm not that
creative).

Then, you get the right remote IP using
x_forwarded_for.split(",")[-NUMBER_OF_TRUSTED_PROXY_SERVERS].strip().

What do you think?
--
Leo Soto M.