On 10/28/07, Justin Driscoll <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I may be missing something but lets say when you pass a string to
> "upload_to" it functions basically as it does now, however, if you pass a
> callable it takes the return value (the full relative path of the file,
> including the filename, in relation to MEDIA_ROOT) and splits it into the
> path and filename using os.path.split.
>
> my_file = models.FileField(upload_to=get_file_path)
>
> def get_file_path(obj, filename):
>      return "%s/%s/%s" % (datetime.now.strftime("%Y/%m/%d"), obj.id,
> filename)

Hrm. That would require two different sets of semantics depending on
the value passed in as the argument. I'm not really thrilled about
that idea, but it certainly does seem like a better approach than
anything else I've considered.

I don't think there's a single tactic that will feel 100% appropriate,
so any solution will probably feel at least a little bit dirty. Do any
of the core devs have an opinion on this proposal?

-Gul