Just replied directly to Russ, but I'll mention this here for posterity.

I found the problem--I'd missed an ImportError in an except clause.
Unfortunately, now all the tests run, but the one that loads the user
commands (tests/modeltests/user_commands) fails because the dance
command isn't available when the code runs. I was thinking that
perhaps the commands were cached before the user_commands app was
added to INSTALLED_APPS, but I tried turning off caching and had no
more luck.

I need to play with it some more, but if anyone has an idea why the
commands for an app that's in INSTALLED_APPS wouldn't be available,
feel free to share.

Todd