Hi, I have some problems with model.save():

1. It does a SELECT first to see if the instance is already in the
database.

2. It has additional database performance overhead because it writes
all fields, not just the ones that have been changed.

3. It overwrites other model fields with data that may be out of date.
This is a real problem in concurrent applications, and has shot me in
the foot in a production environment.

Is there a better way to update only selected model fields on an
instance that's already in the database?

I have come up with this kludge:
http://www.djangosnippets.org/snippets/479/
Should I turn this into a patch and submit it?

What's the status of ticket 4102?
(Allow UPDATE of only specific fields in model.save())

Cheers,
Johann