Hi,

  Trying to sum up the discussions so far I would say that Wolfram's
syntax seems to be the preferred one : i.e. letting the logic go into
the translated string but keeping the strings to translate in one bit.
I wasn't that in favor of this solution at first but I confess I'm
much more convinced now.
  I must say that I like that I like Will Hardy's proposition because
it avoid the "undjangoic" mixing of tags {{ '<a
href="{{ user.url }}" {% userlink user.id %}>' as link_open }} that
was present in Wolfram's syntax (i.e. '{{' inside '{{')
  I would just replace {% as link_open %} [...] {% endas link_open %}
by {% as link_open %} [...] {% endas %} and not allow {{ '<a/>' as
link_close }} as proposed by Will Hardy (to avoid many different
syntaxes for the same thing)

  So this would make the syntax like this :

{% blocktrans with message.created|date as date and user.married|year
as married_since and user.name as username %}
    Received on {{ date }}
    from
    {% as link_open %}<a href="{% url userlink user.id %}">{% endas %}
         {{ username }} (married since {{ married_since }})
    {% as link_close %}<a/>{% endas %}
{% endblocktrans %}

 Then the string to translated would be :
"Received on %(date)s from %(link_open)s %(username)s (married since %
(married_since)s) %(link_close)%"

What do you say ?

-ad