I added a patch which attempts to achieve a similar purpose without
changing the overal behavior of FileField in a more destructive
manner. The reasoning behind the patch is simple. The current code
defines the following behavior: when an instance of a model is
deleted, the file will also be deleted if the deleted instance was the
only instance which referenced this file. Hence, the curent code is
already destructive when there are no more rows which reference the
file. This makes sense to me, and additionally it follows logically
(IMHO) that the code should do the same thing when a new file is
uploaded. If the new file upload is named the same as the old one,
it'll be an effective overwrite. If not, it'll just remove a file from
the filesystem that would otherwise be unreferenced and not manageable
from the admin. Additionally, if there are other instances that
reference the same file, it will still be preserved.  (Retaining the
non-destructive behavior).

Lakin