On 2008-01-10 17:34:11 -0700, Malcolm Tredinnick
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 02:12 -0800,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> Looked at the latest patch, great stuff.
>>
>> About other fields needing initial data, what about havig a commom
>> baseclass (for use with isinstance) for those fields or a
>> takes_initial attribute so it is not only specific to filefields.
>
> Why is this needed? How many other fields are there that are represented
> by an HTML widget which does not allow setting of the initial value?
> That is the only case that seems to require this handling. So if there's
> another case unrelated to the HTML file upload widget which requires
> this, we may have a reason to generalise, otherwise it's not going to be
> required. It's not worth over-generalising just because we can; we do it
> because we need to.

To my knowledge there are none. However, there are two fields that may
contain a FileField or ImageField. ComboField and MultiValueField would
need to just pass initial through to the clean method of the FileField.
So a type check needs to be in place for the FileField there as well as
either extending the type check in full_clean to include both
ComboField and MultiValueField or use an takes_initial attribute on the
class. The takes_initial approach may still be overkill for two more
fields, but it would allow users to create some crazy other field that
needs initial or needs to pass it through.

--
Brian Rosner
http://oebfare.com