On Jan 5, 2008 9:31 AM, shabda.raaj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In some of the groups like turbo gears I see a policy where the first
> time posters post are held for moderation, and once they are approved
> the posters can then post without any moderation. This is what the
> turbogears group[1] says.
> "New member posts' are held for moderation in order to avoid spam. If
> your first message doesn't show up immediately don't panic or re-send.
> A moderator will post it as soon as possible and change your posting
> status so future messages show up immediately."
> So I was wondering if we should have a similar system here, and on
> django-users, to combat spam?
> [1] http://groups.google.com/group/turbogears

I think trying this out for django-users and django-dev is an excellent
idea.  The setting is under "Group Settings"->"Access"; there is a checkbox
down at the bottom "Messages from new members are moderated".  I realize
this may mean moderators get more mail to deal with (though I'm not even
sure of that, from a spot check I did a few weeks ago it seemed #spam
messages was pretty close to #new member postings), and new posters may see
a delay in their posts appearing.  But we'd stop spammers from flooding the
group with garbage (as just happened on django-users), and that's a big
plus.  Even though the online group can be cleaned up and the messages
removed, they've still flooded the mailboxes of however many thousand people
subscribe to the email version.

Please could we turn this on for the django groups?  (Or tell me you've
tried it unsuccessfully in the past, and I"ll quit wishing to give it a
try....)

Karen