On Feb 1, 2008 1:47 PM, Tom Tobin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> That said, I'd like to propose that the majority of the contents of
> django.template.__init__ be preemptively moved to
> django.template.main, and imported back into __init__ as necessary.
> Furthermore, I'd like to see all use of __init__ modules for holding
> more than "moment-of-import" code to cease, for reasons of avoiding
> said nasty circular imports.

And in some cases, it can be valuable from a pure maintainability
standpoint. django.db.models.fields.__init__, for instance, covers
many varied cases, and I've already moved the file-related code out
into a files.py as part of my work with #5361, just so I could manage
it more easily. But then, when there was a ModelForm ticket was
solved, in involved a change to FileField, which took entirely too
much digging to discover.

All in all, I'm +1 on this, but I don't know if it needs to be an
absolute, across-the-board mandate. For instance, django.http.__init__
could be split into django.http.request and django.http.response, but
I'm not really sure it needs to be done for that case.

-Gul