On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 10:30 AM, Jeremy Dunck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 3:04 PM, Leo Soto M. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  >  On the other hand, all this gymnastic is done to allow receivers which
>  >  do not conform to the full API of a signal (i.e., does not accept all
>  >  signal arguments). What is the real reason behind this? Signal
>  >  "extensibility"?
>
>  Yeah, that's the idea.  We're trying to keep some backwards
>  compatibility, and the existing system provides that argument
>  matching.  Even some existing signal handlers in Django rely on it.
>
>  Even so, it may be worth dropping.  Numbers soon.

I am sure you already know it, but let me point out that this
backward-incompatibility would be very easy to fix, just adding a
**kwargs formal argument to every signal receiver. It seems like the
idiomatic way to have "extensible" method signatures.

Then, all the machinery messing with co_code would dissapear. As a
side effect, the non-descriptor implementation of method saferefs
could use curry(), for full compatibility with the default saferef
implementation.

--
Leo Soto M.
http://blog.leosoto.com