I started the following proposal:
http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/DjangoSpecifications/Core/Threading

Quoting:

"According to tickets #5632, #6950 and discussions
http://groups.google.com/group/django-users/browse_frm/thread/a7d42475b66530bd,
http://groups.google.com/group/django-developers/browse_thread/thread/fbcfa88c997d1bb3,
at least the following components of Django are not entirely thread-
safe:

    * django.template.loader
    * django.db.models
    * django.contrib.sessions

This specification outlines the changes that need to be implemented to
solve these issues.

A related task is to identify other components not mentioned here that
have threading issues.

Proposal

Instead of ad-hoc solutions like the one proposed in #5632, there
should be a locking module that can be reused.

Four types of locking primitives could be implemented:

    * Django-wide global locks
    * module-level locks
    * class-level locks
    * instance-level locks
    * function-level locks

I don't see any use for a Django-wide lock. Module-level lock is
needed for sessions. Class-level locks seem appropriate for models.
Template loader can use a function-level lock."

Please comment. The patches are rather simple once agreement is
reached on the correct approach. I volunteer to provide a patch, but
not before a conclusive decision.