I've noticed that a LOT of people get bitten by the problem where
every SQL statement is logged if DEBUG=True, resulting in huge memory
consumption after a while. This problem seems particularly common for
import scripts, which are often run in development (hence with DEBUG
on) and can involve thousands of queries.

Of course, this behaviour is documented... but I think it's reasonable
to expect that many people will miss that part of the docs.

What do people think of having the debug SQL log limited to only
storing the last N queries, with N set to something sensible like 200
by default? This behavior could be controlled by a setting so if
people want to log everything they can:

DEBUG_SQL_LOG_LIMIT = 200 # Set to 0 to disable logging, set to None
for unlimited logging

This seems to me to be more sensible default behaviour.

Cheers,

Simon