> QuerySets are lazy [...] What are you trying to accomplish that is any
> different?

I'm working around the fact that Django's templates can't take
arguments. So I'm calling formatting functions which *do* take
arguments, one of which is a QuerySet. Of course, I can't pass args to
a function in the template system, so to avoid premature evaluation of
the expensive large-query/format I'm currying the function and trying
to pass *that* as a context variable. And that's when it hit the fan.

<rant>

After this site I swear I'm going with either Jinja2 or Mako
templates. I'm all for not confusing non-programming designers with
nasty programming concepts, but my very good designer runs screaming
from the room when I try to teach her the simplest template things.
Therefore, I'm the one having to deal with the crippled templating
system. It's great to keep app-logic out of the templates, but Django
makes a lot of *presentation logic* almost impossible (or extremely
clumsy) to implement. "ifequal foo bar" instead of "if foo == bar"?
With a different end tag? Can't combine and's and or's in a single if?
Give me a break.

Now that Malcolm has subclassable models working, my number one
complaint is the templating system. Number two is single DB, but I can
work around that more easily.

</rant>