On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 11:10 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> And this is great of course.  But having to develop externally away
> from the many eyes of the Django community is sort of an impairment.
> It's a lot easier to get traction on a project that is in the Django
> repo somewhere than to get it for a project on Google Code.

If somebody wants a branch in which to do the work, I wouldn't have
any problem setting it up; that's how we did it for Oracle, and merged
it back to trunk when it was ready.

> No one says the Django team must exhaustively maintain every bit of
> code in the repository.  Surely it is quite easy to not include MS SQL
> in the default list of backends and/or mention in the documentation
> that MS SQL support is unsupported and experimental until such time as
> it improves.  Plenty of projects have bits of code that are crufty and
> get labeled as such, and don't burn cycles maintaining it themselves.

Having dead, non-functional code in Django is something I'd like to
avoid. And there's a world of difference between "here's an
experimental feature" and "here's something that was abandoned by the
person who developed it, and we don't know much about it".