> So what's the point of hoping for September if it's not real?

The point of deadlines are that people tend to try to make them come
true. If there is something that I've learned as a project manager
during all the years that I've worked as one, it's that deadlines are
important.

Its not as important *when* the deadline is, as long as there is one.

If the proposed timeline is in the lines of "it would be great if we
would have 1.0 by the end of this year", we'll still be having this
same conversation about deadlines next year at this time  :)

- VS