On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 11:05 AM, Arien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 10:58 AM, Tom Tobin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> The Django community aggregator includes non-English posts, which are
>> unfortunately pure noise for those of us who don't understand other
>> languages.  Can we either restrict the aggregator to English posts, or
>> at least create sub-feeds for English and non-English posts?
>>
>> I don't mean to tread on the toes of those making non-English posts,
>> but English is the lingua franca of most open-source development
>> (including Django); non-English posts are of dubious usefulness to the
>> Django community at-large. [...]
>
> -0 on the general idea and that last sentence is plain false:
>
> http://www.jacobian.org/writing/2008/jan/30/arc/

Is it?  The one language Django developers *around the world* are most
likely to have *in common* is ... English.  The language used in
common for open-source developers from Brazil to Bulgaria is ...
English.  I'm *not* saying Django shouldn't support local languages or
Unicode (which was the point of contention in that post)!  I'm saying
that *for the community as a whole*, English is how we all communicate
with one another, and that an aggregator for that community at-large
should contain English posts.

Maybe non-English posts should go into a separate, secondary feed;
maybe we should have a feed per language, as well as a
language-agnostic "firehose" feed.  Having *only* a firehose feed, as
we do now, is a problem.