Russell Keith-Magee wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 11:00 PM, Michael Glassford
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Now for one of the reasons that I've been trying to get the Django unit
>> tests running: I'm interested in submitting a patch that adds some ON
>> DELETE and ON UPDATE support in Django. But first, I want to see what
>> interest there is in such a patch.
>
> I'm certainly interested in supporting ON DELETE and ON UPDATE, and
> from a surface inspection, you appear to have a reasonable handle on
> the topic. I'm not sure if my enthusiasm is shared by the other
> developers though. Either way, this would be a big new feature,

True. The code modifications aren't really all that big, though, and
since I've proposed it as an "opt-in" feature (this could be changed in
the future, of course), it should at least be pretty safe.

> and it
> will require some discussion from the core developers and the rest of
> the community.

I was hoping this would help spur the discussion.

> However, we're currently on a push to get v1.0 out the door, and in
> order to get this release out the door, we're deferring discussions on
> feature requests that aren't already well established.

Although the feature request might be regarded as well established
(since various aspects of it have been requested in the tickets I listed
as long as three years ago) I did realize that my patch might be
postponed by the push to release 1.0, even if there were a lot of
interest in it. While of course I would rather that didn't happen (since
it's a feature I use in a patched version of 0.96), I figured it would
still worth working on as a post-1.0 feature--although in that case,
hopefully the transition from 1.0 to the next version would be shorter
than that from 0.96 to 1.0.

> I'm not saying you shouldn't work on this - just that you will find it
> difficult to get our attention over the next few months. If we want to
> get v1.0 out the door, some things have to be sacrificed.

If I can determine that there is sufficient interest that there's a
decent chance of it being used (always assuming the implementation is
found acceptable, of course), I'll definitely work on it.

> Yours
> Russ Magee %-)

Thanks.

Mike