On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 9:26 AM, phillc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> random person: "i need help"
> magus: gives technical answer
> random person: does understand python
> magus: points to docs
> random person: you are rude

1) Let's stop referring to specific people, mmkay?  I made that
mistake, had it pointed out that it was a mistake, and want to make
good on not repeating that mistake.

2) The sort of interaction you outline is *not at all* what *I'm*
talking about when I feel that someone is being rude.  But again, this
is the sort of thing I want to understand: what *do* people mean?  I
consider rudeness to encompass behaviors such as yelling, disparaging
remarks, and using a condescending tone.  Pretty simple, IMHO.
Refusing to help someone who doesn't understand the first thing about
Python is *not* being rude; it's merely recognizing that the other
person is in the wrong place, and that your time could be better spent
helping others.