On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 9:26 AM, Jannis Leidel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, could we fix that bottleneck by appointing more
> developers to be core developers?

As with many things, the process of becoming a committer is documented
in our contributing document
(http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/contributing/#commit-access):

"""
Full committers

These are people who have a long history of contributions to Django's
codebase, a solid track record of being polite and helpful on the
mailing lists, and a proven desire to dedicate serious time to
Django's development.

The bar is very high for full commit access. It will only be granted
by unanimous approval of all existing full committers, and the
decision will err on the side of rejection.

[...]

To request commit access, please contact an existing committer
privately. Public requests for commit access are potential flame-war
starters, and will be ignored.
"""

That last bit -- emailing an existing committer asking for commit
access -- is there deliberately. It helps with setting a high bar --
asking for commit access is *scary*, so the idea is that only those
who deserve it will ask. We'll encourage the "right" people to ask
when appropriate, of course, but if anyone reading here thinks they
deserve commit access, email me. Hell, even if you just want to know
what you'd personally need to do to get commit access, email me.

Jacob