Hi all!,

I've posted a patch[1] with a small refactor to some Field's
get_db_prep_* methods. Basically, for non-basic field types, the
database-prepared values is not computed by the Fields anymore, but
delegated to DatabaseOperations functions. As the current default
logic was copied to the default methods implementations on
DatabaseOperations, this should not break anything (I fully tested it
a week ago, with the four official backends and indeed it didn't broke
anything).

This patch is part of my work of running Django on Jython, and in
general helps anybody who maintains an external django database
backend.

I would appreciate thoughts on the general approach, and some guidance
if I missed something.

[1] http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/7560

--
Leo Soto M.