On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 5:36 AM, vicvicvic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In the Django FAQ, we can read this about views:
>
>> In our interpretation of MVC, the "view" describes the data that gets
>> presented to the user. It's not necessarily how the data looks, but which
>> data is presented. The view describes which data you see, not how you see
>> it. It's a subtle distinction.
>
> In my mind, "which data you see" would be equal to a context a view
> returns, not the HttpResponse or the template. Why? Because rendering
> a template is saying "I have this data and I want it presented the way
> this template will present it". If the view is responsible for saying
> that, it is at least partly responsible for telling us how we see the
> data.

If a view picks a template and renders it using some data, the
template is still free to present the data any way it likes (with some
Content-Type related restrictions).  But you don't have to hard-wire
the template (and the implicit Content-Type) in the view.  Write a
view that has (optional) arguments (with sensible defaults) for the
template (and the Content-Type).

> Right now, I have a couple of views which return some data. But I'm
> also building another view, and I want the data from one of the first
> views in this one. I can either duplicate the fetching from the first
> one, or I can send an "internal" request and just get the dataset. I
> pick WHICH data I want and add some to it.

Or you could write a function that fetches and returns it, and use
that function in both views.

Arien