On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 8:47 PM, Rozza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ah no problems!
>
> As there aren't any tests for the staff_member_required or even
> request.get_full_path() I wasn't 100% sure what the procedure would be
> as these are used through out Django.
>
> As it's such a minor change does it warrant the bureaucracy of
> requiring tests to have it implemented?

Yes. Next question? :-)

There are some parts of Django that either do not have tests. These
usually correspond to the oldest parts of the framework, which existed
before Django had a full testing framework. Tha'ts not an excuse to
avoid writing tests - it just means that your tests will be the first
tests in that area.

The tests serve multiple purposes:
 - they demonstrate the existence of a problem, which makes the triage
process easier
 - they demonstrate that your patch fixes the problem
 - they prevent the problem from happening again in the future.

With very few exceptions, nothing gets committed to the code base
unless it has tests.

> I think definitely there  should be a ticket opened to ensure that
> tests are written to test the logic staff_member_required and
> request.get_full_path().  At the moment I'm not sure where they would
> fit.

The hard part is writing the tests, not deciding where to put them.
Worst case, the core developer that commits your patch will put the
tests into a different location.

However, that said, the decision on where to put a test goes something
like this:
 * Is it a specific test of a contrib app? If yes, put it in the tests
module for that app
 * Could the test serve as a form of documentation for a feature? If
yes, put it in modeltests.
 * Otherwise, put it in regressiontests.

Beyond that, try to add the tests to an existing test module within
modeltests/regressiontests; however, if you can't find anything
appropriate, feel free to suggest a new test module.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)