On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 18:09 -0700, Cam MacRae wrote:
> contrib.auth view tests fail if required templates aren't found. This
> seems a sensible default in line with Russell's post [1]

The problem with that original position is that it overloads testing to
include both testing the auth app's implementation and testing the
user's configuration when they're using the auth app. So there are
definitely two legitimate sides to that opinion.

I much prefer self-contained unittests. I read Russell's mail as
preferring to trade that for installation/configuration testing. I don't
particularly agree with that, but I could live with it if we decide it's
the way we want to go.

>   but rev 8497
> introduces a test only template directory [2] which
>
> a) causes the tests to pass in the absence of an actual login template
> (the provided template is not a default template, it's a test
> template);

It also means the tests pass as a self-contained bundle to test the auth
app, rather than requiring a user using the auth app to have to set up
all these templates even if they're not using a particular piece of the
auth app just to have the tests pass. That's not a trivial concern.

There is a middle ground here, which is that those auth-app templates
get moved to the Django's main test directory so that they're available
only to runtests. That doesn't feel particularly self-contained and
again, for me, violates the intuitive meaning of the word unittest, but
it's the way we've gone with the new comment tests and the admin tests,
for example. Might be a trend to follow.

Malcolm