On Sat, 2008-08-23 at 11:00 -0700, David Cramer wrote:
> Recently I noticed a bunch of queries I was executing by hand (one's
> which the ORM didn't support) were not being committed.
>
> I dug into the docs, and it clearly states that the default
> transaction mode is autocommit, and mysql's default transaction mode
> is autocommit.
>
> So, my question is, what's going on?
>
> I ended up doing set autocommit=1 at the beginning of the queries, but
> this is a pretty big gotcha.

I just twigged to what you were saying here. There's no gotcha. You were
just forgetting to check the requirements for one piece between you and
the database.

If you're going to do low-level Python database work (at the level of
MySQLdb), the important thing to read is PEP 249. Without that, it's
just a bunch of guesses. This behaviour is documented there. Auto-commit
must initially be off for Python DB-API-2.0-compliant modules. This is
consistent behaviour across all Python database wrappers.

Regards,
Malcolm