Martin Diers wrote:
> On Sep 13, 2008, at 7:23 PM, Russell Keith-Magee wrote:
>

>> On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 6:35 AM, Martin Diers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> The answer is community packaging guidelines. Somebody needs to write
>>> or adapt an existing doc on how to package django apps using existing
>>> Python tools (which are excellent already), how to name them, etc.
>>>
>> Somebody really is a great guy. He does a lot of great work for the
>> community, doesn't he :-)
>>
>> If you think this document is required, why not write it? Don't wait
>> for permission - just write it!
>>
>> Of course, if you actually sat down to write this document, you would
>> rapidly discover why it hasn't been written - the questions you need
>> to answer haven't got canonical answers yet. Are you familiar with the
>> Django Hotclub? This project started out to answer exactly these
>> questions, and they still don't have canonical answers. Pinax is an
>> attempt to discover best practices through empirical means, but they
>> don't have a complete set of answers.
>>
>> Yours,
>> Russ Magee %-)
>>

> Look, that's exactly my point. Authorship aside, just throwing up a
> platform for submitting packages accomplishes nothing without
> packaging guidelines. Besides, we already have that. It's called
> Google Code.
>
> Pinax provides a model perhaps for the manner of packaging a project,
> but as a whole is more cathedral than bazar. Is it the answer? I don't
> know.
>
> I don't know because I am not qualified to write such guidelines. I
> have not been using Django long enough to understand all its parts
> well enough, nor to propose how others should work. But I sure as hell
> don't want to see yet another repository canonized before the footwork
> is complete. Thus here's my vote: No.

Just to return to the original theme, I've been in touch with Richard
Jones, Pypi's (the Cheeseshop's) maintainer. He points out that there's
already a "Frameworks :: Django" Trove discriminator available, and
suggests that if Django developers have a need to change the code
(though I am not sure why they would) that too would be possible.

The only proviso to that is that the existing web APIs used by distutils
and setuptools need to be retained. If they weren't, of course, it would
kind of nullify the point of using PyPi in the first place.

regards
 Steve