On Sep 11, 2:27 am, "Adrian Holovaty" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 4:08 PM, Jeff Forcier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Second: if not possible, is it desirable? I recognize that with any
> > nontrivial hierarchy/number of extra objects per inline, the visual
> > representation could become ghastly. But assuming its usage is limited
> > to semi-trivial scenarios, it seems like the existing admin API could
> > be very easily extended to support this.
>
> This has come up a number of times over the years, and I still haven't
> wrapped my head around why somebody would need this functionality...
> Surely one could just use the "standard" admin for the third-level
> objects, then use two-level inlines for the first- and second-level
> objects?

I'll give you my use case for this: currently we use the admin
application to generate reports. Each report has a number of findings,
which are implemented as an inline. Several users have found that they
need to split the findings across several sections, which at the
moment requires Word table wrangling. It would be great if I could
have a simple FindingsSet model which would be a section heading plus
the relation to the findings. The best UI for this would be the curent
inline view but with the editable section heading above (and another
set of findings below). Given that the majority of reports will only
have a single section, however, making users edit the findings on a
different page would be less than ideal.

This isn't a 'so implement it now' email, it's just that this is what
I'd use it for. As it is I'll probably just add a 'group ID' field to
the Findings model, which will achieve pretty much the same thing. And
that will make the hand editing of OpenXML I'll have to do slightly
less painful as well.

I hope that makes sense; a bit more 'real world' than A-B-C examples.

Regards,

Felix