On Sep 18, 12:52 am, Malcolm Tredinnick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 14:42 +0100, Ben Ford wrote:
> Parts of it are very well thought out and if it had been a post on "how
> Jinja works" it would have been excellent. Other parts are completely
> unconstrained by facts or acknowledgement that Django's standard
> templates and Jinja's ones have different goals (which is important,
> since this isn't an apples to apples comparison at all).
I'm starting to feel like Don Quixote here (the Windmills being a
community that learned to live with the implications of the
limitations of their beloved template engine).  After my blog post I
continued to dig in the Django sources and had to notice that it's
impossible to reused Template objects at all so you are pretty much
forced to reparse them over and over again.  (Not reparsing would for
example also break the FilterExpression embedded i18n support because
it translates on compilation, not on resolving)

With that in mind you can pretty much everything said about thread
safety in my blog post.

The rest of my reply is missing now.  I actually wrote a mail here
that was a lot longer than my blog post from yesterday but noticed
that I repeated myself with slightly different examples.  I don't want
to start the discussions again because I know the first reply will be
again that missing support for expressions is good, that the AST
evaluator is a blessing and in general the Django template engine is
the best ever happened to mankind.  I know I'm sort of exaggerating
here but in general that's what I read out of the comments I've seen
on the reddit discussion thread about that topic.

Please apologise my blog post, it wasn't meant to criticise the Django
template engine concept in any way, just to inspire a possible
improved version of Django templates.  I think Jinja does solve a few
things better than Django (and probably some worse) but I can't be a
mistake to look at how things work there to get an inspiration of how
to make things better.  The primary inspiration for myself for Jinja
was Django, and I'm not ashamed to say that.  When I started
developing Jinja it was a simple port of the concept into a standalone
library not depending on Django with unicode support.  What you can
see now in Jinja2 is the second iteration of a vastly changed template
engine, that however is still based on the same principles the Django
template engine is: no XML, template designer friendly, easy to get
started, extensible.

If I can help out in any way to get some of the Jinja concepts ported
to Django, or just explain why things work that way and not different
in detail I would love to do so.  I think Django can't lose, it just
takes someone to have a look at it.

Regards,
Armin