Hi Devs,

I just posted a question on Django users about how to best remove the
extra query to auth_messages on every request while still using
contrib.auth and contrib.admin in my own code[1].  This led me to the
thought that contrib.auth should follow the reusable apps mantra of do
only one thing and do it well.

I think decoupling messages from contrib.auth is a worthy step to
making auth a little bit more reusable.

By doing so, however, Django would need to ship with a
contrib.messages (or similar) app which brings with it other thoughts
and considerations:
  * How to make messages more reusable.
  * Should it have more features?
  * Should a pre-existing reusable app (like django-notification[2])
be used/considered instead?

I almost convinced myself that Groups and Permissions could also stand
on their own as separate contrib apps but then thought that as an
overall "auth" app, they make sense.

[1]
http://groups.google.com/group/django-users/browse_thread/thread/cf8f7aefe2039873
[2] http://code.google.com/p/django-notification/