On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 09:54 -0800, lkcl wrote:
> folks, hi,
> i wonder if you could kindly include, if nothing else, the
> pimentech.network classes, which can be downloaded from
> http://lkcl.net/libcommonDjango.tgz in the contrib directory of django
> or just as a standard django module.

You neglected to explain what the module was about or why it's
necessary. So I had to download the tarball and then try to visit a
website to find out things like the license, etc (since the website
wasn't responding, I don't know that, still, but it turned out to be
moot, since I don't think this is really a candidate for inclusion).
It's a single file you're talking about that seems to implement an
RPC-over-JSON view, from what I can work out.

I also think you slightly misunderstand the usage of django/contrib/ --
it's for self-contained applications, not single utility file. We don't
use contrib/ like some older-style projects where it becomes a dumping
ground for lots of externally contributed stuff.

> they're important enough

Not at all clear and I would take issue with the claim. The class is
implementing RPC. Django tends to favour more REST-like development
(we're hardly alone in that respect), for a start. Not really a use-case
that is preventing development with Django. However, Django doesn't
enforce any kind of REST architecture in applications (obviously) and
RPC is certainly possible, but it's also easy enough that I don't see
people being held back by the lack of inclusion of a class like this.

>  and small enough to be included in django by
> default, and the code definitely adds value to django.

Given that it's only a single file, why can't the few people who want to
do RPC work just download that particular file, if that's their
preferred implementation? Or even just include it in their applicaiton
that relies on RPC? I'm a fairly strong -1 on including *any* RPC
library in Django itself, since there's really no need and it tends to
go against the "best practices" grain a bit (thereby not adding value).

Regards,
Malcolm