Hi Ed.

This seems more like a question for the django-users list. django-dev
is for the development *of* Django, not development *with* Django. Ask
there, and I'm sure you'll get pointers to a lot of helpful resources.

For a start, you may want to take a look as Malcolm's recent
multi-part series on the subject. Note the third one with regard to
content-types.

http://www.pointy-stick.com/blog/2008/12/09/implementing-http-services-django/
http://www.pointy-stick.com/blog/2008/12/13/etags-and-modification-times-django/
http://www.pointy-stick.com/blog/2008/12/15/content-types-http-and-you/