To begin with, my first impressions are that it's a really good
solution, and I'm interested to see how it shapes up in production
apps :)

I'm slightly concerned with having to link to it from django.contrib.
This is generally regarded as a bad idea, mainly because it makes it
difficult to get up and running. I think the general consensus is that
you should have it installed at the top level as 'migrations' (the
name is available on pypi–reserve it quickly!), so that people can
just do easy_install migrations or pip install migrations, etc.
Also, this introduces a difficulty when people are using eggs, or may
not necessarily know how to get to their site-packages directory
(you'd be surprised how many Django users are Python novices).

Regardless, I'm looking forward to using this migrations app in the
future - It looks really good. Thanks a lot for your work!

Regards,
Zack