Hello,

I would like to suggest (patch will follow if someone concurs) that
custom sql is executed after Django has created indexes.

Django is (in my opinion) a bit optimistic regarding index creation,
and by looking at pg_stat_* output I see that at least a couple of
indexes on busy tables hasn't been used - ever. The obvious thing to
do is to drop these. Next step would be to sync this with my test and
staging environment so I can run tests against my data/application and
verify that something hasn't broken - and here's basically where it
gets interesting.

Since Django executes my custom SQL before creating indexes, it's
impossible to achieve something that hooks into initdb/syncdb. I know
that it is "good custom" to create indexes after inserting data – but
fixtures in Django is already executed after creating indexes, so that
can't be the reason.. So, without further ado, what I would like to
know is if there's a reason to why custom SQL is executed before index
creation.

Kind regards,
Johan bergström