Hi all,
    Recently I wrote a blog post (http://bit.ly/HM3hC) on my project
conventions; it began by talking about how I like to maintain
different settings 'modes' for debugging, staging and production, and
the ways in which I do this. I've had quite a few responses from
Djangonauts on how they all do this, and it seems that this really is
a pattern. In keeping with Django's DRYness principle, it would
probably be better to factor some of this out into the Django
codebase.

There are several advantages to be had from this prospective feature.
Firstly, and most obviously, there's the benefit that it would ease
the administration and deployment of large-scale projects across
multiple machines. Secondly, it would provide open-source projects
(for example, Pinax; see http://pinaxproject.org) a way to distribute
sensible defaults with their source code, yet also allow continuously-
integrated deployments to use custom (and potentially sensitive)
settings, such as database authentication parameters. Thirdly, it
would mean reducing a lot of commonly-rewritten code - a lot of the
commentors (or should that be 'commenters') on my aforementioned blog
post have their own way of doing it, which they've clearly put effort
into thinking up and working on. There are probably a couple more
advantages, but these are just the ones I can think of.

There seem to be several ways of doing this; if we could decide on the
best (or at least the easiest for Djangonauts to work with), then we
might be able to take a step towards one of two things:

    1) Core support for this feature.
    2) A contrib app implementing this feature.

Again, each probably has its own advantages; I thought it best to
start this discussion here so that the community could work out what
the best route to take is. There was something of a commversation
(comment conversation) occurring on my blog post; a list discussion is
no doubt a better way of handling this issue.

So what do you think?

Regards,
Zack