I wonder if it is not better to hang this issue as another bullet-point on the
I18N ticket[1], like Oracle seems[2] to do.

To prevent repetitions of %7+1 code like the example given in Semmel's
ticket[3], I think a cleaner approach would be to let the week_day filter
take a date parameter as an alternative to int (it would then have the sense
of "same week-day as"). This is a little like the license to use either keys
or objects when filtering by foreign keys.

Just my 2 cents,
        Shai.

[1] http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/7980
[2] http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/7672#comment:3