On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 3:46 PM, Adrian Holovaty <adr...@holovaty.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 12:55 PM, Alex Gaynor <alex.gay...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I've been looking at adding multiple database support to Django for a
> little
> > while now and as a part of my plan of action the first step is to remove
> all
> > references to the global settings in django.db.backends.* and replace
> them
> > with a settings dict as you suggest(minus stuff like settings.DEBUG
> > obviously).  My proposal goes a little further than yours however since I
> > propose passing the settings dict in into the constructor of the
> connection
> > itself, not in the _cursor method, the advantage here is that when we
> create
> > the connection we have all the information we need then.
>
> Hey, this sounds like a good improvement (passing the settings to the
> constructor instead of _cursor). Do you have any patches or at least a
> link your proposal, if you've written one? I can't seem to find
> anything.
>
> Adrian

I have a longer proposal that outlines a lot of the hard bits and
implementation issues which is unfortunately trapped on a dead laptop right
now, but I've got a seperate outline of the public API which you can see
here: http://cometdemo.lshift.net:8080/greed/e8bd84ee/ .  Once I have both
of them put together into one document I'll sent the whole thing to
django-dev for feedback as it's my intent to work on this for GSOC.

As for the settings thing I don't have any code for it yet, but I can work
on it.

Alex

say it." --Voltaire
"The people's good is the highest law."--Cicero