On Mar 31, 2009, at 12:48 PM, Jeremy Dunck wrote:

> Malcolm, Jacob pointed me at you, since the code in question was a
> commit around QSRF-time.
>
> I'm aware of ticket #7539, but would prefer to keep the scope narrower
> and ask the hopefully-useful question-- is #9308 a bug?  If so, I'd
> like to close it for 1.1.
>
> In summary, #9308 describes a situation where B has a nullable FK to
> A, and an instance of A is being deleted.   Currently, any B's related
> to A also get deleted.
>
> #9308 takes the position that any B.a_id's should be set to null
> rather than B instances being removed along with the desired deletion
> of A.   I'm asking explicitly whether this is is a bug?

i'm feeling that most of these "delete" issues could be fixed via
something like this

http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/8168

i know y'all are really hating 'new signals' but i'm not sure how to
do the myriad of cases without one.
Then the user can set things to null or 'ignore it' , change it, etc,
etc.  And it has the added benefit of not breaking the api as it
stands now (where i'm sure some folks rely on the delete not setting
things to null)

bo