On Tue, 2009-03-31 at 17:31 -0700, Bill Konrad wrote:
> First off, thanks for taking the time to read through it and give so
> much feedback.
>
> Please let me clarify one thing.  If you read the above as a proposal
> than it wouldn't have seemed much like a proposal.  I was only
> outlining what a REST API module (I know you don't like that naming)
> would need to provide.  The proposal goes much further and contains
> more detail.

Well, you said you had created a problem statement and I assumed that
mail was it. Apparently not. It's a bit confusing as this whole proposal
to do something for Summer of Code hinges on there actually being a
problem to solve and a solution that solves it, not the fact that REST
exists.

> The reason that I refer to it as a module and think there is more to
> this than just an architectural style is that by providing an API
> "service" that models can be registered with (think django-rest-
> interface from 2007) a lot of the details can be ignored by someone
> who is not interested in writing a full API from scratch.

Then please stop calling it a generic REST API. Because it's not. It's
an interface to expose models. A generic REST API requires the full
power of Python because, as I've already noted, it's an orthogonal
concept to what is stored persistently. We provide a way to retrieve
arbitrary data -- view functions and the ORM. You can't hope to make it
any simpler than that for the general case.

>   The
> objective would be to let the developer define which data can be
> accessed through the API, who can access it and have most of the
> internal details handled for him.

So is this another pass at the 2007 project again? Why not contribute to
django-restapi instead and keep that going along? I know why that
project got as far as it did and what the limitations and strengths of
it are (since I was the mentor for that student). For a
model-presentation API, it's going in the right direction and people are
using it.

The devil is in the details here and the worthiness of a proposal along
these lines very much on what you are thinking requires changes in
Django's core. I think the answer to that is "very little". Which then
leads me to wonder about what you're proposing to do.

[...]
> Does that help clarify what I wrote a bit?

Not really, because I still don't know what you're proposing to do and
the specifics are important for a Summer of Code project.

Regards,
Malcolm