On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 21:56 -0500, Jacob Kaplan-Moss wrote:
[...]
> ------------------------
> File
> "/var/buildbot/slave/parts/ubuntu-8.04-python2.4-mysql5.0/django-trunk_ubuntu-8.04-python2.4-mysql5.0/build/tests/regressiontests/model_inheritance_regress/models.py",
> line ?, in regressiontests.model_inheritance_regress.models.__test__.API_TESTS
> Failed example:
>     ArticleWithAuthor.objects.filter(pk=article.pk).update(headline="Oh, no!")
> Expected:
>     1
> Got:
>     0
> """
>
> Can someone with more MySQL-fu take a look and help me figure out
> what's going on?

Known problem. Russ brought it up a while back in a discussion about
what update() shoudl return and we haven't resolved it yet.

The issue is that MySQL only returns the number of rows *changed* when
executing an update command and that particular result will affect one
row, but changes no data in it. So it returns 0, not 1.

It's ticket #10438.

Regards,
Malcolm