To get more visibility and community input for the scope of GSOC
projects, let me propose the following workflow.

1. A keyword is chosen for each project
---------------------------------------

* model validation: model-validation (already existing)
* multiple database support: multi-db
* admin UI refactor: admin-refactor
* HTTP and WSGI improvements: http-refactor
* testing improvements: test-refactor
* i18n improvements: i18n-refactor

All tags should perhaps be prefixed with gsoc09 for clarity, e.g.
gsoc09-model-validation.

2. Tickets are tagged with that keyword in trac

This is mainly to gather community input.

Both the GSOC students and community members tag tickets with the
relevant keyword to propose them for the GSOC project. Community
members should hold themselves back, carefully considering if the task
is appropriate and in scope for the project before doing so.

As a result, we get nice reports in trac that everybody can refer to
and review.

3. Mentors and students review the tickets
    and finalize the scope of work

Mentors and students review the community proposals and remove tickets
that are not in scope for the project. The gsoc09-* tag is removed
from those tickets.

It would be most pleasant if each project gets a wiki page structured
like http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/Version1.1Features and
http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/Version1.1Roadmap that describes
the work and schedule. Also, a link to the ticket set report can be
provided there.