I would agree with you on the dict issue, given that some of the
backends have custom settings etc. I also agree that this is not
really something that matters now - DSNs will need to be parsed into
dicts anyway, so you might as well implement the dicts first and then
see what the demand is for DSNs. Supporting both also doesnt seem too
bad.

Mile.