On Aug 2, 9:50 pm, Jacob Kaplan-Moss <ja...@jacobian.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 8:05 PM, Brent Hagany<brent.hag...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > But, just to be explicit, I don't want to
> > limit the discussion just to that patch, or to render_to_response or
> > any particular shortcut.  First, we should discuss the larger issue of
> > whether technically unnecessary code (which is what any shortcut is)
> > should be allowed into Django, in my opinion.
>
> Well, discuss away... but I'm not going to put my foot in that one.
> Wide sweeping philosophy discussions aren't really much fun,
> especially when we're all just hand-waving anyway.
>
> Let me suggestion something different:
>
> 1. Propose a new shortcut function. Bonus points for a patch.
> 2. If it's full of win, it'll go in.
> 3. Rinse and repeat.
>
> I don't think anybody's opposed to the idea of "helpers" or
> "shortcuts," so just start making some suggestions. Either they'll
> turn out to be a good idea, or they won't. We don't need any larger
> framing device than that.

I am willing to do that - it was my impression that this wouldn't be
well-received on this list, since discussion belongs in the ticket.
Apologies if I misunderstood.

The patch/idea I'm putting forward is #10588.  It was closed as a
duplicate of mine (#9081), but Chris Cahoon prefers #10588 to mine,
which is fine with me.  The idea is simple - let render_to_response
return a status code other than 200.  The primary advantage this has
in my mind is that it provides a consistent shortcut-y way to return
HttpResponse subclass in another.  It lowers your cognitive overhead.

I am particularly curious to hear from you Jacob, as you originally
set #9081 to 'Accepted', and being rather naive, I kind of thought
that was it.  The pushback I've gotten on such a simple change has
surprised me.