On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 9:45 AM, SmileyChris<smileych...@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/11461
>
> DebugNodeList catches all exceptions, sticks them in a
> TemplateSyntaxError, and stuffs the original exception in the new
> exception. I'm not sure why this is done, but it breaks debugging and
> exception handling.
>
> What is the advantage of swallowing the exceptions?

I can't speak with authority on the reason behind this, but if I had
to guess, I would say this might be a case of confusing intention with
accident. This behaviour has existed for at least as long as I can
remember, and it's been annoying for pretty much all of that time.

To me, this points to a design decision that made sense in the early
days (pre-magic removal; maybe even pre public release). That decision
may have made sense with an earlier version of Django that didn't have
as much potential for exceptions in templates, but it is clearly
problematic now.

So - Chris - if you want to take on the v1.2 project of making
exception handling more meaningful, I say go for it.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)