I've been hoping a discussion like this would start as soon as 1.1 was
out the door. It would tie in nicely with the Admin GSOC work as well.

I would like to chime in with some ideas for requirements and stay
away from the implementation discussion for now.

1. I think worrying about projects vs. apps is a red-herring. We are
talking about a way to configure an admin app. There might be several
of these on a 'site/project/whatever'

2. Some ability to regroup and choose better names is a biggie. It
pains me when I try and explain to my admins what 'auth' means...

3. A way to have custom entries in an category that don't relate to a
model and don't neccesarily have add and change links. This would
allow us to integrate projects like Django-filebrowser into the admin
nicely without the code copy and pasting that comes from the admin
template override mechanism.

5. Talking of the admin template override mechanism for those times we
are forced to use it can we have lots lots more blocks? Object-tools,
I'm looking at you!

6. (pony time) When everyone comes to their senses and accepts that
jQuery is going to be an essential ingredient in contrib.admin, then
jQuery.ui tabs add a whole heap of awesome to the admin index page :-P

cheers!

Andy