I can't see the problem in that article.
Also, the datetime objects have changed since then, taking a timezone
as optional parameter:
http://docs.python.org/library/datetime.html#datetime-objects

I mean we are using date/time already with our pre-save way of doing
things, why should auto_add act any different?